Darshan: Visions of India
featuring art exhibitions, an outdoor festival, performances, discussions, and workshops
March 19 – April 30, 2022
at the Tennessee Valley Museum of Art in Tuscumbia, AL and the Ritz Theatre in Sheffield, AL
Call for Art Submissions
Darshan: Visions of India
deadline: extended to January 20, 2022
We are seeking artwork reflecting the Indian-American experience through the Indian diaspora as well as the maintaining & expression of Indian identity while living in America. The invitational exhibition will offer a varied aspect of the complexity of Indian culture. The exhibition is part of Darshan: Visions of India, an interdisciplinary cultural series including discussion panels, presentations, and experiences covering areas such as food, dance, music, visual arts, architecture, design and religion. The exhibition is scheduled to open March 19th, 2022 and close April 30th, 2022.
Location: The Tennessee Valley Museum of Art, Tuscumbia, AL 35674
Submission Deadline: January 20, 2022
Notification Date: January 31, 2022
Arrival of Artwork (by shipping or hand delivery): March 1-11, 2022
Exhibition opening: March 19, 2022
Exhibition closing: April 30, 2022
• Open to all 2-D & 3-D media; digital installations will be considered on an individual basis based on space considerations and equipment needs.
• All work should be exhibition ready with appropriate hanging method — wire with D-rings, sawtooth hanger, or custom cleat.
• All hanging works must weigh under 200 lbs.
• All work must be able to enter through an 83”x71” doorway.
• Work should reflect the Indian / Indian-American experience
• General size limitations – the gallery has a hanging rail for heavier works positioned approximately 8’ from the floor. Therefore, the vertical height of hanging works should not exceed 84” in height with the possibility of suspending lightweight taller works from the ceiling for exhibit; works cannot exceed 11’ in height to allow ample distance from lighting fixtures. The gallery is large. So, there are no particular width limitations.
Submissions will be accepted digitally. Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 20, 2022
• One photo of each submitted work. Each artist can submit up to four pieces.
• Your Artist C.V., if available
NOTE: The submission form includes your Artist Statement. An effective Artist Statement goes beyond the basics of your working method and discusses thought processes, intention & interpretation, and how the work fits within your greater body of work. Basically, your Artist’s Statement should let us and the viewer know more about your goals as an artist and how you see your submitted work within both your own body of work and the greater global arts.
Shipping / Hand Delivery:
• The artist is responsible for the costs of shipping both to and from the exhibition. Shipped works must include a prepaid return shipping label. Shipped works should be timed to arrive between March 1-11, 2022.
• Hand delivered works may be brought between March 1-11, 2022. The Tennessee Valley Museum of Art is open Tuesday – Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 10am-5pm. Alternate drop off times are available with coordination with Jonathan Cain, Curator (email@example.com).
The Tennessee Valley Museum of Art is located at 511 N. Water Street, Tuscumbia, AL 35674.
Publicity / Marketing:
By entering the exhibition, you give the Tennessee Valley Art Association / Tennessee Valley Museum of Art (TVMA) permission to use your Artist Bio, Artist’s Statement, and images of your work for publicity. Images of your work may be archived on the TVMA website.